Thursday, May 31, 2007

General Aung San's independence and China's Influence



Above poem is from one of the posts on Mayvelous blog. Well,it is not surprising that many Burmese people keep admiring General Aung San as he led Burmese army when Burma fought against fascist Japanese and British for its independence (while Thailand was free from war as far as I know). I really appreciate his ability. He had been in London in his early 30s and he met British Prime Minister for Burma's political issues. That's great.

It is a fantastic reward as Burma was free from British colony in 1948. But sometime I suspect today's situation in Burma would be a consequence of premature independence. I think Burma at that time was not ready to run on its own. Too much instability in 1950s in history. You know Hong Kong is very well. It was released from British control in 1997. Burma and Hong Kong are grossly different in terms of economic and living stardard.

Some nationalists may argue that Burma might lose its unique identity and precious culture if it is under other people's control. OK, what is today's situation? What about massive influence of China? I don't mean I don't like them. I believe all those living and settling in the Land of Burma should have an equal opportunity, regardless of skin color and ethnic origin. It's ridiculous some of my Chinese friends born in Yangon have never granted Myanmar citizens. But now they have been US citizens. They said applying for US citizenship is much easier than Myanmar citizenship.(But you may know many people who never speaks Burmese language or usual ethnic languages are living in many places in Burma, especially in Mandalay). Moreover, a strange thing is that, 2 years ago, I saw a Burmese passport holder in a house in London. He speaks Chinese and some English only.

1 comment:

Thura Tun said...

I think charismatic leaders like Gen. Aung San are very dangerous in a sense that once they are gone, it is extremely difficult to fill the void they left. Our country's ethnic conflicts in the 50's might not have been that bad if Gen. Aung San had been still there. I am also wondering what will happen once ASSK is gone. Is there anyone who can fit in her shoes? I think it is very worrying. Just my humble opinion.