Sunday, September 07, 2008

Once Burmese, always Burmese. But

Lately, a friend of mine has tried to claim that I have been away from Burmese things despite the fact that I was born in Burma. Yes, it is true that I was born in Dufferin Hospital, now called Yangon Central Women's Hospital.

I moved to England for some but strong reasons. Basically I like Burma and Burmese people. But there is a proportion of Burmese culture and tradition I can not accept or tolerate. I can not follow unfortunately. I am not happy with some traditions and cultures. The easiest example is too much discrimination against age, sex and social class in Burmese society. Moreover, many people believe that if they donate the best foods and materials to Buddha monks, they would get back similar things in the future while neglecting the starving dogs waiting outside the monastery. So-called holy people might feed dogs only when some rice and bones are left after their meal. I must say today's Buddhism in Burma is not so practical in many ways even though Buddha's philosophy is awesome. I think it happens when people mess up their ego with religion.

Now I have been in Great British. You may ask if I do like western culture. Generally I would say yes. It is more convenient for me. More practical. Less discrimination. But I must say it is not so perfect either. But so far, I am happy with it. OK, on the day, I can not able to tolerate, I might move to another place. Easy and straight forward. Other British people have been living across the world for many reasons. Why not me? In whatever natural disaster or bomb blast happened anywhere, British casualty involved. That means British people are in all places logically.

To be honest, I like to see Burmese . A few days ago, Myanmar bloggers did gathering in Singapore. They also prayed from detainee Nay Phone Latt who is a Buremse blogger. It was nice when I checked the photos. Apparently, people, including me, like party, gathering and celebrations. It is amazing to see loads of Burmese young chaps abroad.

Obviously, nowadays, more and more Burmese people are moving out of their own country. What does that mean? Is that a sort of Brain drain? No, it is just an out-dated philosophy. Now we are in Internet era. We connect. Wherever the brain is, we can use it through networks. That is what I believe. Do you think the brain of newly graduated doctor from Burma is ready to treat patient effectively. That kinds of brains need upgrade at somewhere.

Good to see many Burmese across the world, from New Zealand, Singapore to Norway, Jamaica and Canada. In fact, Burmese migration is late. Other people have already built their strong society for many years or decades. Anyway, I am an optimistic despite today's political and economcail situation in Bumra. I like more Burmese moving out of country. I like this situation. Who made it? Have U Than Shwe and his generals been pushing many youngsters to go abroad ? or Has Daw Aung San Suu Kyi been sacrificing to create this situation. Or Is that the consequence of what Burma has been a victim while USA, Russia and China playing power and opportunist Asean countries taking advantages from Burma?

To conclude, once Burmese, always Burmese, but

7 comments:

MELODYMAUNG said...

As for me, Once Burmese, Always Burmese. For option of But..?
I am also moving out of my own country, but I will be back my mother land when I can do my best with freedom without fear.
May be one day..
At that time, I hope I can already raised my myanmar's dignity with my greatest effort.
Do you think so upon me, steve?

MELODYMAUNG said...

As for me, Once Burmese, Always Burmese. For option of But..?
I am also moving out of my own country, but I will be back my mother land when I can do my best with freedom without fear.
May be one day..
At that time, I hope I can already raised my myanmar's dignity with my greatest effort.
Do you think so upon me, steve?

Steve Evergreen said...

Yes, that's good. We, a group of friends, also have got a plan to go back and run a charity, like a hospital for the poor in village area. We have got surgeons, medics and psychiatrists. We need more.

But as I told before on my post, you do not necessarily go back to Burma. You can help them while you are working abroad.

You may visit Burma once a year. We are living in a world village. not in a tiny restricted place. We have so many interesting enjoyable places in our world village still needs to be explored.

Anonymous said...

I agree "once a burmese, always a burmese".

But I find it difficult to agree that there is less discrimination in the west. Though I have not specifically experienced it, there is no doubt that discrimination exists everywhere in the world.

Unknown said...

My pet peeve about the middle class
majority of Burmese, I don't want
to specifically say Buddhist, but
most, is using kids as domestic
help at home, where is the empathy
and compassionate spirit?? When
they educate and pamper their own
kids, while they have no guilty
conscience whatsoever to hire
an underage kid, eight year old
and above to wash clothes, cookingcleaning, childcare etc.,I would appreciate if you, melodymg, gyit tu would emphasize this practice which is morally and spritually
wrong on your blog sites. Btw
I enjoy reading your blogs.
Thanks. Kthee

Steve Evergreen said...

It's not surprising that there are child soldiers in Myanmar army. Hiring under-aged kids has been a tradition of Burmese families for such a long time. In Burma where people are crazy for respect of their minors, it is not uncommon to see lazy, plump, monk-feeder women who worship at least twice a day ordering helper to bring a cup of water, sometime verbally abusing, while sticking ass with sofa.

In fact, Child labour is not only in Burma. I will blog later about why children are required in Indian textile industry.

Burmese Gold Bull said...

hey.. i like tis post too.. btw i was born in that hospital too.