Saturday, October 17, 2009

Holiday in Barcelona

Holiday means gong somewhere. I chose Barcelona. This Spanish city with UNESCO world heritage sites is decorated with a combination of ancient buildings and modern architecture. I stayed in the Front Air Congress Hotel which is 4 star with gym and spa. I must say £55 a night is relatively cheap, compared with the same grade hotels in England. The only drawback was that it was not in the down town. I had to take the bus 72 route from hotel to the centre of Barcelona. It was only Euro 1.35 per ride( one journey £2 in London). Saving money, I bought 2 days travel card, enabling me to take bus and metro as many as I wanted. Their underground network is rather smaller than London counterpart. Basically, no need to worry to lose the way for someone who has been familiar with London transport system.

During my stay, I made new friends. I met a couple from Toronto in hotel restaurant. Both of them were well over 60. They were in Paris before Barcelona. We chatted and later we enjoyed the dinner together. Spanish fine red wine boosted our conversation. Next morning, a young girl called Yumi from Japan asked me something in the hotel lounge. She was on her own. She visited her friends in Oxford for 7 days before coming to Spain. She was a sale assistant from Nagoya. We took sight seeing bus together. She was quite friendly. The only issue was her English with many pauses and stops. But it did not matter for that evening when we enjoyed Spanish foods and then went to spa.

You can see some photos I took.



the view from Montjuïc ( 'Hill of the Jews')


Cruises. Barcelona has a major port in Europe


A women statue who I don't know.


Columbus monument


Date trees


Casa Mila' or La Pedrera (built between 1906-1912)

More photos, click here


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

9 comments:

Rita said...

Believe u was happy!

Vista said...

Kool mate ! One day i will visit there ..I also wanna visit to Pamplona.To visit to this city became my childhood dream after I read The Sun Also Rises written by Hemingway.

Bino said...

Thinks for sharing photos and article.
I strongly wish to go Europe and America as a visitor.
I'm happy to see that you are enjoy with Holiday in Barcelona.

BINO

Bino said...

Thanks for your sharing photos and article.
I strongly wish to go Europe and America as a visitor.
I'm happy when you are enjoy with Holiday in Barcelona.

BINO

Unknown said...

I suppose Rome is more beautiful than Barcelona. anyway thanks for sharing photos.

ksanchaung said...

I like this novel, The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway.

khin oo may said...

Nice shoot
Happy journey
Sweet lunch
Good dream

အိမ့္ခ်မ္းေျမ့ said...

I love the date tree-lined road and also architectural design of La Pedrera. Thanks for sharing the pictures and also thanks for visiting my site.

Regards,

သက္ပိုင္သူ said...

cool... wish i'll be there oneday...
i like their architecture..