Monday, October 12, 2009

The most annoying things

The most annoying things

I came across an article on the telegraph. “The most 100 annoying things in Britain: Poll.”

The followings are top 3 out of 100.
1. Chavs
2. People driving close behind you
3. People who smell

Full list at Telegraph

I totally agree that chav is in number one position.

Chav (pronounced /ˈtʃæv/ Charver or Scally (In northern England), CHAV) is a derogatory term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom. The stereotypical "chav" is an aggressive teenager or young adult who often engages in anti-social behaviour, such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdy behaviour. They are often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job, although it is incorrect to assume that all chavs are working class, as chavs belong to no distinct social class. Chavs typically wear tracksuits and hoodies made by sporting brands such as Nike and Adidas and listen to mainly MC and some have been known to listen to Rap, R'n'B, Hip Hop and Techno. (Source: wiki)

(This is for someone who is not familiar with the meaning of chav.)



An example appearance of chavs (source: telegraph.co.uk)

Basically, once I see a group of teenagers with above appearance on my way, I would walk on the other side of the street. That is what my experience taught me. It was near the royal infirmary in west Yorkshire where I lived. A group of teenagers asked for a cigarette. I said I did not smoke. They shouted “F....... Chinese”. What a coincident. Next day, a girl from that group was visiting on the ward to see her sick grandmother who was under my care. She disappeared in a minute once she found out who I was.

Another time, a group of teenagers threw at my car with stone at near Prince Regent Station in east London while driving at about 8PM. I pulled over. They ran away. I rang 999. Police patrol arrived in 2 minutes (Police must be very aware of the situation in that area). Police man checked my car if any damage. Nothing found. They did not take any action. I think teenagers’ behaviour depends on the many factors, such as social class, parental guidance, environment they grow and many more. In fact it is a wide social science topic, I believe.

“People driving close behind you” and “People who smell” ranked number 2 and 3 respectively in above public poll.

To be honest, I do not bother tailgaters too much. Once I have a chance, I let high speeders to take over.

Am I annoyed with smelly people? Absolutely not. Of course. It is my job seeing sick people who have various smells. In fact, some particular smells help establishing a diagnosis in certain conditions.

This is my list of annoyance.

1 Chavs (as above)

2. Noisy self-closing fire door. Because of poor manufacturers or brainless builders, in most NHS buildings I lived previously, the doors shut with a bang, making walls vibrating. Unable to sleep at day time during night on-calls, risking care of patient.

The old closers with above appearance still being used in many places are really bad. The Geze brand fixed in doctor's room at work is the worst one. It shuts the door slowly until about 4 inches away to close completely. After that, it bangs the door, making a loud noice and vibrating walls. No easy way to adjust the door to close gently. (Photo credit to : http://www.locksearch.com )

3. Windows Operating system. I have no choice. But it needs update all the time. In the middle of an important task, it has been asking to restart. Loading and shutting time are ridiculously long. I frequently need to switch the power off.

4. USB memory stick. Very useful. But every time, I need to be careful to put in a right way after one USB socket has already torn.

5. Patriotism/Nationalism

6. Road work. Now it is road work season, I believe. Everywhere, road works. In most sites, workers start their jobs in morning rash hours and finish after evening peak time.

7. Accidents and motor break-downs during rash hours. I sympathise the innocent victims. But I think it is a sort of lengthy investigation in each incident. I feel police and emergency services should have a better tools and system to get job done quickly.

8. People who asked me “Where did you originally come from?” I believe I have to answer that question as long as I am alive and living in Britain, regardless of my nationality.

9. Gordon Brown. Until a few months before this economic slow-down, I remember that he kept saying British economy was still going strong while manufacturing industry has been shrinking year after year with many factories and firms moving out to eastern Europe and China. Of course, Britain mainly depends on service sector. Until when? Who knows?

10. Putting feet on the table. Unfortunately, I start having this practice.



2 comments:

Rita said...

ေလာေလာဆယ္ the most annoying thing ကေတာ့ cbox က ကိစၥေတြပဲ။

ျဖဴတုတ္ေလး said...

I agree with most of your annoying things (not necessarily in order) except 2, 5, 8 and 9.
2. I haven't experienced one
5. I believe that most of us are...
8. Unless I am being guessed as Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean or Japanese, I have no problem when someone comes and asks me WDYOCF straight.
9. I don't live in London. Therefore, I don't have any personl feelings towards him.

I do though have serious issues with smelly people. :)