Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Alcoholic and helicopter

I really don't want to disturb my circadian rhythm, but it is unavoidable because of the nature of job. Last night was my first night. Most patients were elderly people brought in by ambulance. Nothing exciting. Seeing them, doing initial investigations and making management plan are our routine during on-call hours.

I started working with the annoying person who was with the history of alcohol excess. He has been on detox regimen. But still wandering around the ward. I gave him two more tablets to calm down. A rather high dose of medcaion did not touch him. He absconded. In view of the fact that he still confused and no capacity to decide to go home himself, we needed to inform the police.

We heard helicopter noise 15 min later flying over the hospital. Soon after that, patient was brought back by two police officers. Apparently, the police helicopter spotted him at town (town center) about 1.5 miles away from the hospital. Police claimed they had to spend tax payer's one year contribution because of him.

While staffs dealing with that alcoholic, someone has been passing massive amount of blood from the back passage. He needed urgent transfusion. Surgical team reviewed. Later stable.

In the early hours of morning, some one got an acute shortness of breath. He was a known blood cancer patient with some fluid in the lung. I was dealing with him. At the same time, it was reported that the 94 year old woman got a bout of vomiting. I asked someone to see that frail lady as I was busy with above man. Unfortunately, the arrest call went on 5 minutes later. Someone from other ward got heart arrest. We all had to go down. He agreed to give up him after several cycles of resuscitation. When I came back, I was informed by my junior, the old lady already die. Family informed. Probably the cause of death would be aspirtion after vomiting.

The same as usual. No 30 minute proper break time in 12.30 working hours.

2 comments:

才董 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
သူရိန်မင်း said...

immm..... long time no see. I miss you. btw ManU beat West Ham twice this year, Home and Away! Great.