Saturday, August 02, 2008

UK's time waster customer services

Nowadays, the majority of companies and corporations provide customer phone numbers with 0800 free number, 0845 and 0870 non-geographical numbers. It looks nice. But my experience with BT is just a pain.

A few months ago, I ordered a new land line. For that, I rang its 0800 free number. Automated operator kept me wait for 20 minutes each time, by saying that they were extremely busy. After trying several times during 5 days, I was lucky enough to speak to a human being who said they would process my order shortly. But nothing happened in next 2 weeks. So I emailed. They asked me to give the deposit £20. But no payment detail. I rang. Nobody answered me in 30 minutes. I emailed again. After 2 days, I received a reply with words of sorry and apology. (You may know people in England easy to use sorry or apology liberally as a daily activities. That is what we call ? manner or ?gentlemen's manner :-) )

After sometime, they rang me saying that BT engineer would come to my place on what day and what time to install a new line. I was waiting. But nobody came. So I made an enquiry again by calling them. Each time, BT kept me 20-30 minutes, transferring from one department to another. No clear solution.

Finally, I emailed them to cancel my order. They replied it had been cancelled.

3 weeks later, what surprised me was that I received a BT bill of £172 for new phone line installation. I can't beleive it. Until now, they kept sending me a reminder asking for a payment. I dont know my phone number. I dont know where the BT socket. Now I have got an extra job to sort out this dispute.

I write this post as this new article reminds me my painful experience with BT.

2 comments:

စိုးထက္ - Soe Htet ! said...

Really Painful experience ! :(

I 've never thought BT has such a slow and distorted business.
Best luck next time ! :P

Steve Evergreen said...

yes, it actually happened to me. next time if i have time, i will write about my experience with Virgin Media. Really funny!!!