Friday, December 26, 2008

World's CCTV capital

Today is Boxing day, so most shops are closed. But a few shops are trying to clear unsold items with so-called discount prices. For example, I bought a pair of discount shoes (£55) from Jones bootmaker. It's original price was £85. In fact, people are talking about Boxing day discounts much more than actually it happens.

Well, today I popped in Canary Wharf which is business and shopping complex in East London area and bought above shoes. I took a couple of photos as my hobby.



You may notice a CCTV in the photo. The news papers claimed that everyday, average Londoners are filmed by CCTVs for over 200 times on the street, on the bus, on the tube, in the stores and so on. In public places, your activities may be recorded from different angles all the time as millions of CCTVs are working 24/7 across the UK. If you parked your car on the double yellow lines or restricted area, nobody does not seem to be care. You would be happy as no police man and no traffic warden disturbed you. But you will get a £60 penalty notice in next few days. You car has been framed by local council CCTV. Definitely.

So a lobby of people have a concern about a matter of privacy issue. But the number of CCTVs has been increasing all the time across Britain, especially after 7/7 terrorist attack in London. Since then, all London buses have got CCTVs. In fact, I also fixed a couple of hidden security cameras at my place. One is for my car and one is for the main door. But these are not CCTV. I record only when I need.


This is the view from Poplar rail station. HSBC tower, Bank of America building and Canary Wharf tower. I just took this photo in time before ?changing ownership after credit crunch. In fact, whoever the ownership is, those buildings sprang up by means of British tax payer's money, I think.


View Larger Map

No comments: