Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A friendship for life long or not?

When I was young, I was a Harold Robbins's fan. I keep some of his books, such as, The Carpetbaggers, The Stallion, Stiletto, Never love a stranger, Tycoon and so on. I must admit his characters influenced my teenage life to some extent, in terms of way of thought and dealing with friends. In the one book, it was stated that "how much can you trust on childhood friend?". As far as I remember, the character was a young tycoon. His childhood friend was a union leader trying to squeeze money from him while carrying a gun during the family dinner. Similar thing happened in my life. But I had well prepared for some reason. It may be because of the knowledge I gained from the fiction.

People say it is no doubt that making friend is a good thing to do in the life time. I agree that. At the same time, I have a small negative impression. Should we need to make friends all the time? Is it worth doing so? A few years ago, I managed my friend to come to the UK. She is such an extreme social being. She was able to make a big Burmese net work with over 100 friends in first 2 months after arrival. She had been on the phones morning, afternoon, evening and night and busy with occasions, gathering and monasteries. As a consequence, she was still jobless after 6 months in the UK with over £100 a month phone bills. (as I subscribed pay-monthly mobile phone for her, that made me a great burden) Later, she tried to take my money in improper way which is absolutely unacceptable. With a great disappointment, I had to stay away from her. Later I learned that she desperately married with one of her so-called friends, who had got a long term relation with someone else. Sometime I am still thinking if she is alright although circumstances have changed and we can not establish our previous friendship any more.

In fact, I have many friends in my life. But whenever I moved to a new place, and whenever I got to a next step of my career, I lost contact with them. Some of them left behind . Some are going parallel, finding it difficult to carry on our friendship. Living in different life styles means less opportunity to make friends to each other. For example, I am not a church goer or monastery goer. Not fancy Burmese gathering either. But I don't miss Christmas party. I join tennis club and enjoy cycling. I go to Europe twice a year. I am interested in sociology and financial matters, but not politics. I love animals and elderly people. I did not come to the UK to help Burmese fellows, but sick patients. I am not normally sorry to hear that someone has to go back to Burma or move to Australia because of whatever reason. Basically, if I can cope with life in the UK, I will live and enjoy. Otherwise, I would start my plan B or C.

By the way, I will be in Rome tomorrow.



4 comments:

Zatlite said...

Read your post and left, thinking "to each his own". Have a good time in Rome.

မီယာ said...

I still miss my childhood friends. Then we were innocent and happy. Some people can take advantage of the friendship you treasure and clearly, they are not friends. I've met a few people like that in my early years in this country.

Rome is a nice place, so many things to see...enjoy!

MELODYMAUNG said...

wish you enjoy 4ever with your choice of lifestyle, Steve! :)

Steve Evergreen said...

I don't like your life style. As a result this post came up.