Saturday, November 29, 2008

Leeds

After hectic on-call nights, today I' am free. I read something in the morning. Afternoon, I could not keep staying inside any more. So I drove and chose nearby Leeds to visit. Leeds is a big city only 20 miles from my place. Basically, west Yorkshire was England's top industrialised place until most factories moved to China and other oversea destinations where cheap labourers available . It is a well developed area and big cities like Manchester, Sheffield, Bradford and Leeds are not far from each other within 1 hour drive.


View Larger Map

I went to Kirkstall Abbey, which is 2-3 miles away from Leeds town centre. When I checked with wikipedia, it is described as follow.

Kirkstall Abbey is a ruined Cistercian monastery in the western outskirts of Leeds in Yorkshire, set in grounds which are now a public park on the north bank of the River Aire. It was founded c.1152 and was over seventy five years in construction. It was closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under the auspices of Henry VIII. The ruins have been painted by artists such as J.M.W. Turner.


Kirkstall Abbey, Leeds


Fogging afternoon in Leeds Kirkstall Abbey park

From there, I headed for Leeds town centre where Tom tom instructed me to drive in counter-flow of traffic. It also kept asking me to turn into close roads. Bugger!. I remember it also confused in central London.

I saw a sea of people in town centre. A full range of age groups, from teenagers to elderly people with wheel chairs. Wondering if the UK is in actual economic recession? Maybe its early phase? They must be Christmas shoppers. I bought a Cross ball pen with rubber grip and a Red Herring shirt from Debenhams.

It had been nearly 2 hours walking around at town centre, from one shop to another. So I was starved. Fancy a meatball baguette and a cup of latte. Unfortunately, I lost my way and took nearly half an hour to find out the shop. As a result, I had to pay parking fee £8 for over 2 hour (2 hours and 20 minutes actually). Charges are 1 hour £2.80, 2 hours 5.20 and 4 hours £8. On my way home, it was not too much traffics. Some photos are here.

X-mas lights ont he street



Taxis and buses in Leeds. London Buses are red, you know



X-mas shoppers. Air temperature was 2 degree C



Inside Victoria quarter shopping mall

Some more photos are available in my album. Better view with slide show.

No comments: