Friday, May 01, 2009

confused.com 2

It was my early days in England. Her name was Rebecca. She was a nurse. A single mum with 2 kids, struggling her tough life. She took off-sick frequently. I overheard nursing stuffs talking about her " Becky's late again" "Becky doesn't not turn up again". I must admit, at first I confused if Becky was her nick name. How funny I am. Of course, Becky is short name of Rebecca, like some other names, such as Bob for Robert, Bill for William, Debbie for Deborah, Toni or Vicky for Victoria , Andy for Andrew and so on.

I think these are not really English language from Cambridge grammar or Oxford dictionary. I might a bit exaggerate if I say that being familiar with host country's tradition and culture is essential for someone from east working and living in English speaking society. But, at least such kind of knowledge will help your well-being in new society, making friendship with other people in harmony in a short time like Mae. Appreciate that.

In west London, I am really glad to see loads of Burmese speaking people. They are well organized. They shared in 2 or 3 bed houses. They have been clever enough how to sort out to remain in the UK legally. They are able to make extensive friendship within the Burmese community as if west London were part of Burma. It is really nice. According to my contacts living there, it is a well known fact that guys usually compete bitterly each other to win a relationship once a girl arrived from Yangon . I think it is multi factorial. One of the reasons would be patriotic, I suspect. :)

It can be said that friendship and relationship are linking each other at some point, but different in terms of nature of personal involvement. Chronologically, relationship is usually preceded by friendship in many models. Some start relationship in first instance. Some may take up to a decade. Well it is a complicated sociology topic what I never understand completely. But one interesting thing I came across on the Face book is some one from Myanmar has been advertising that she is in an open relationship. Oh Jesus! Burmese people have been in such a great time.

I know the meaning of open relationship before. Anyway I checked on the net.
An open relationship denotes a relationship (often between two people) in which the participants are free to have sexual intercourse with other partners. If the couple making this agreement are married, it is an open marriage.(Wiki)

a facebook setting that allows you to give in to your sluttastic urges while keeping a "saftey net" around in the event that you're unable to hook up with anything hotter. (Urban dictionary definition 3)

I really confuse what is going on among Burmese facebookers. Recently, a chap has been declaring himself that he is interested in both men and women . I think I am not stupid enough to announce on the world class social network if I were really interested in guys :)


15 comments:

khin oo may said...

e လုိဆုိရင္ေတာ႕ အဓိပါယ္ အမ်ိဴးမ်ူိးၿဖစ္နုိင္ေပမဲ႔ ၿမန္မာလို တုိက္ရုိက္ဘာသာၿပန္ရရင ္open relationship ဆိုတာ ႔ပြင္႕လင္းတဲ႕ ဆက္ဆံေရး. ခင္မင္မွူဴ မ်ိဴးကိုဆုိလုိတယ္လုိ႕ထင္ပါတယ။္ မကြယ္ေၿကးမဝွက္ေၿကး ပြင္႕ပြင္႕လင္းလင္းခင္ခင္ မင္မင္ ေနၿကမယ္။ေနခ်င္တယ။္ ဆုိတယ္လုိ႕ နားလည္မိတယ။္ ၿမန္မာၿမန္ာမခ်င္းေတာ႕နားလည္တယ။္ ဆက္နားေထာင္ေသးတာေပါ႕။ ဘယ္သူဘာေၿပာမလဲလုိ႕။

Steve Evergreen said...

yes, but Face book is in English.

moreover, open friendship and open relationship are different obviously.

Again, open personality type is not open relationship though.

PAUK said...

သူ႕ရဲ႕ ္open relationship အတြက္
မဆိုင္တဲ့ ကေလး၂ေယာက္အေမပါ ၀င္ပါရတယ္..
ဘာပဲေျပာေျပာ..
interested in both men & women
ပဲေဟ့..
(ပဲေဟ့ ဆိုတာ...စပားေျပာတာေနာ္..
ပဲနို႔ နဲ႔ ဘာမွမဆိုင္ဘူး)

strike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Evergreen said...

ဟီဟီ ေပါက္က Women ေတြကိုပါစိတ္ဝင္စား သတဲ့။ တကယ္ ဘဲ မနားဘူး

AKyinNar said...

I think..some people want to advertise themselves that they are in the relationship but still available. Something like MBA (Married But Available).hehe:p

Unknown said...

anyway who is someone that facebooker? he or she I am so interested :D if it's woman.

it's possible,this is 21st century of MODERN BURMA

*bisexual
*open relationship
what will be next......?? :D

mae said...

I think I know which girl you're referring to about the open relationship. I believe she's my boyfriend's friend. :P

Why don't you ask her directly what she is referring to??

Actually, I have very few friends in England. The town I live in is quite small and almost everyone from my office is busy with their families. So I was quite lonely at first.

But I've since learnt to do things by myself .. like reading burmese blogs to get recipes and trying them out!! haha..

Steve Evergreen said...

Yes I have already gave a warning shot on Facebook, trying to stop her that funny declaration. but after that she sent SMS, sayng me that I always see her in that way.

The matter of fact is the meaning of relationship what she finds it hard to understand or may has been thinking in Burmese way while running world wide accessible face book. So i just tried to make a joke on my blog. that is the story.

San said...

ဗမာ ျပည္မွာ ေနတဲ့ ဗမာ အမ်ိဳးသမီး က ဒီလို အဓိပါယ္ မ်ိဳး နဲ ့ ေရးတာ ေတာ့ မျဖစ္ႏိုင္ဘူး

ဘယ္လိုပဲ globalization ေျပာေျပာ ဗမာ ေတြဟာဒီကိစ မွာအလြန္ ထိန္းသိမ္း ရွက္တတ္ပါတယ္၊ အမ်ိဳးသမီးဆိုေတာ့ ပိုဆိုးတာေပါ့

ဒီ ဘေလာ့ခ္ ကိုလာဖတ္ျပီးယင္ေတာ့ သူေတာ္ေတာ္ရွက္သြားမွာပဲ

myanandar said...

ဟဟ ေလွ်ာ့မတြက္ နဲ႕ Sun ေရ ၊ သူက ေလာ ေလာ ဆယ္ ဗမာျပည္မွာ ေန တာ မဟုတ္ ဘူး ၊ အဲ ဗမာ ျပည္မွာ ေန သိတိုင္ေအာင္ ေခတ္မွီ တာလား/ေခတ္ေရွေျပးတာလား/ပ်က္စီးတာလား/mentally or physically ill တာလား ဘယ္လိုေျပာရမလဲ မသိပါ။ ဒါေပမဲ့ ဒါမ်ိဳး ေတြ တကယ္ ရွိ တယ္ဆို တာ ျမက္ျမင္ ပါ။ မီဒီယာ ေတြ က အေနာက္ ႏိုင္ ငံ ေတြေလာက္ ေဖာ္ျပခြင့္ မရတာ ရယ္ ဗမာ ေတြ ရဲ့ အံု႕ပုံး culture ေၾကာင့္ ဒီကိတ္စ ေတြကလူသိ နဲ ေနေသးတာပါ။

PAUK said...

ပြဲမၾကည့္ရတာ အေတာ္ၾကာျပီ..
အေ၇ွ႔ဆံုးတန္းက ဦးထားတယ္..

mae said...

ေပါက္.. ပဲြရွိတတ္တယ္လား?

strike said...

OMG...i know who she is....

An Asian Tour Operator said...

After I have read this post, I immediately went to check my facebook personal info page :-)