Friday, May 15, 2009

Old currency notes and the value of a friendship



While searching something in my computer, I came across this photo that I have already posted somewhere, maybe on this blog.

The Kyat 5 note was what I liked most when I was teens. My parents did not allow to eat out. That meant no pocket money provided when I was in the middle and high school. For me, not a big deal. I bought vitamin pills from the shops (New Bogyoke Market and Open market). And I resold at school class room, saying those pills were tonic, very good in £$%^&*...Too much demand. In a short time, I had to make Paracetamol and Burmeton available. Those days, selling medicines was absolutely legal for everybody in Burma and no license was required. I don't know about now. My profit did go to nearby small Chinese restaurant where I enjoyed garlic noodle with grilled pork.

My minute business did not stop in my secondary school. During my final year in the medical school, my father gave me some money to buy a car, after denying to buy a Sony Walkman two years earlier. The reason was that I had been using my girl friend's car all the time. He was not so comfortable for it.

But I never bought a car. Instead, I lent the money to others who were crazy with gambling . They were mainly from Rangoon university, Dental colleague and Medical colleague. Interest rate was 10% a month. It was a glorious time. I drove different and different kinds of cars as I took those temporarily for my money. Of course, I did not communicate with them directly as I was studying for my MB degree. I had some good friends. Their commission fee was 2% and I took only 8% interest for myself. Since then, I have already learnt the value of good friends and meaning of mutual interest.

10 comments:

strike said...

ဘုရား ဘုရား...အဂၤလိပ္အစိုးရကေတာင္စီးပါြးေရးအတိုင္ပင္ခံခန္႔သင္႔
ေနၿပီ

Rita said...

ဘာဇြဴ ဘူဇြာ

PAUK said...

ေငြအေၾကာင္း
မသိ
မတတ္
မရွိ..

khin oo may said...

fears...........

khin oo may said...

အဂၤလန္မွာဘဲ ေနပါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါါ

ရႊန္းမီ said...

ေမ့တတ္မယ္ မထင္မိဘူး :-/

Steve Evergreen said...

ဘယ္ေမ့မွာလဲ။ လူေတြေရွ႕ မွာမို႕ အိုက္တင္ ခံတာ :)

Phyo Maw said...

lol same thing
i also did sale #$@%^ pic that can be seen only when u put it near fire to buy Yo Yo, korea toy top :D
This post remind me of BEHS student life.

Moe Cho Thinn said...

:)
ငယ္ငယ္ကတည္းက စီးပြားေရးသမား ျဖစ္ေနတာပဲ။
ခ်စ္တီးေသလို႔ ၀င္စားသလား မသိ။

Steve Evergreen said...

ခ်စ္တီး

yes that is what my close friends called me.