Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pay day

It is not uncommon that Burmese fellows working abroad grumble about how much they have to pay tax to both Myanmar government and the country where they live. Someone from Singapore claimed that he had to queue at Myanmar embassy for tax purpose since mid night. Weird!

It is true that Myanmar passport holders in Britain do not need to pay tax to Myanmar embassy in order to renew their passport. But every month, the PAYE (Pay As You Earn) tax taken from salary is too much for me. It is a sort of pain with the appearance of news about members of parliament (လႊတ္ေတာ္အမတ္ ) are using our tax payers' money for their luxury items and mortgage payments.

This is the income tax rate for 2009. If you earn more, you have to pay more.

Income Tax rates and taxable bands
2008-09 2009-10
Starting rate for savings: 10%* £0-£2,320 £0-£2,440
Basic rate: 20% £0-£34,800 £0-£37,400
Higher rate: 40% Over £34,800 Over £37,400

After tax, another deduction is NI ( national insurance ) contribution. I think it is about 11% of salary. According to the law, you can claim benefit if you are not capable of working or if you become jobless after an enough NI contribution. But I saw many people who are entitled to claim such benefits without working properly before. Fine, this is the democratic country with full of human rights.

Anyway, for this month, the total deduction from my salary is over £2000. I still don't know how much Burmese double tax payers across the world are paying tax. For me, this single tax makes me suffer enough. I have loads of bills to pay every month. So I have to work extra hours when I have a plan to go holiday nearby country. That is one of the reasons I can not visit Burma for many years. I still believe that some people, such as KOM , are still lucky wherever they work at burger shop or warehouse. They can go back home regularly, spending packs of currency notes. Really nice life style.

6 comments:

khin oo may said...

စိတ္ဝင္စားစရာဘဲ။။ ၿပီးမွ လာေဆြးေနြးမယ္။

Anonymous said...

ေရာက္တယ္ေနာ္.........
NY မွာေနပါတယ္
စားခ်င္ေကြ်းမွာပါ
လာလည္ေပါ့
တာ့တာ

Rita said...

ဟိုးအရင္က ေၾကာ္ျငာတစ္ခု သတိရမိတယ္။
"၀တဲ့လူက ပိန္ခ်င္တယ္။ ပိန္တဲ့လူက ၀ခ်င္တယ္။" ဆိုတာ။

ကိုယ္ေတာ့ Asia မွာ မေနခ်င္ဘူး။ ဥေရာပနဲ႔ အေမရိကား တစ္ခုခုပဲ ေနခ်င္တယ္။ အင္း ဒါေပမယ့္ ျမန္မာျပည္လဲ ခဏခဏ ျပန္ခ်င္တယ္။

Unknown said...

tax rate ေတြ လာဖတ္သြားတယ္။
ဒီႏွစ္စာေမးပြဲမွာေတာ့ tax rate အေဟာင္းနဲ႔ပဲ ေျဖရအံုးမယ္။ ေတာ္ပါေသးရဲ႕။
09/10 အတြက္ NIC class 1 ကေတာ့ မေျပာင္းဘူးေပါ့ ... ။ 5435 to 40040 က 11% ... over 40040 ဆိုရင္ 1% အဲဒီႏႈန္းပဲလား။
self-employed ေတြအတြက္ NIC class 2 နဲ႔ 4 ကေရာ ... 2.30/ week နဲ႔ 8%, 1% ပဲလား။
ၾကံဳတုန္း စာလာေႏႊးသြားတယ္။

ကိုယ္ကေတာ့ အဂၤလန္မွာ မေနခ်င္ဘူး။
ျပဳျပင္လို႔ မရတဲ့ ရာသီဥတုႀကီးကို ေၾကာက္လို႔။
တျခားဟာေတြက ျပင္လို႔ ျပဳလို႔ ေျပာင္းလဲလို႔ ရေသးတယ္။ ရာသီဥတုက ဘယ္လိုမွ ျပဳျပင္ေျပာင္းလဲလို႔မရဘူး။ အဂၤလန္ေဆာင္းကေတာ့ စိတ္ညစ္စရာ အေကာင္းဆံုးပဲ။
ဒီေန႔ေတာ့ ေနအေတာ္ပူသား ... ေနေရာင္ျခည္ေတြ သိမ္းထားၿပီး ေဆာင္းတြင္းဘက္ ျပန္ထုတ္သံုးလို႔ရရင္ ေကာင္းမယ္။ :)

ဒါနဲ႔ စကားမစပ္ ေဆး႐ံုနာမည္ ဆင္ဆာလုပ္ထားပါလား။ ဘယ္ေဆးရံုမွာလဲ ၾကံဳရင္ ေကာ္ဖီ၀င္ေသာက္မလို႔။

Steve Evergreen said...

well, I learnt those rates for myself. I dont know about others. you may know I am not an accountant either. I have got someone to sort out those stuffs.

England weather? no problem with my day to day life. But I cant cope with tropical weather.

Thanks for your comment.

khin oo may said...

comment မေပးသြားလည္း ခဏခဏလာဖတ္တဲ႕သူ.။ analyze လုပ္ေနသူကို ေက်းဇူးတင္ေပးပါ။